I am always looking for easy, light, gluten free recipes utilizing the best of the season. This vegetable tart or pie fits the bill perfectly. Adapted from a recipe from Cooking Light magazine, it is the best of summer with fresh ripe tomatoes, basil, and swiss chard. My garden tomatoes aren’t ripe yet but plenty can be found in the farmers’ markets.
editor’s note: Since I originally posted this, I hardly ever eat grains anymore. I do feel better when I don’t but I do love brown rice.
Summer Vegetable Tart
serves 4 -6
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 T pesto ( so easy to make your own, look here
1 T grated pecorino romano cheese
1 large egg
olive oil or coconut oil
3 large eggs
1/2c. cream or half and half ( if you are dairy intolerant, just leave it out)
salt and pepper to taste ( pecorino is VERY salty so I didn’t use any salt)
2 cups of cooked seasonal vegetables ( i used 1/2 onion and swiss chard sauteed in 1 T butter and 1 T olive oil)
3 small plum tomatoes ( or one larger beefsteak variety)
1 T. chopped fresh basil
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. To prepare crust, combine rice, pesto, cheese and 1 egg. Firmly press mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9 in. pie plate, coated with your oil of preference. Wet your hands and this will be easier. Bake at 350º for 15 mins and remove from oven.
3. Increase oven temp. to 400º
4. To prepare filling, whisk eggs. Add seasonings and milk if using.
5. Spoon cooked vegetable mixture evenly on bottom of prepared crust. Top with egg mixture, then tomato slices. ( here is where you could get really creative. For a heartier meal, add a layer of more cheese . Try some prosciutto. Go ahead! and olives or ??? I added a bit more cheese underneath the tomatoes)
6. Bake at 400º for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 325º and bake an additional 35 minutes until set. ( Because I didn’t use milk, mine was only in for an additional 15 minutes, so check!) Cool 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with the chopped basil. ( I forgot!)
I realized as I was taking pictures that my vegetables match my placemats today. My friends will tell you that I am all about matching, but this truly was unintended. Funny!